fbpx
Skip to content

Antony Antoniou – Luxury Property Expert

Antony Antoniou

Would you give all your money to someone else

Would you give all your money to someone else

Would you give all your money to someone else

When  you buy a property with another person, you are taking a gamble with your finances, from the point that your name and theirs are entered on a deed, their risks are your risks, their liabilities are your liabilities, their debts are your debts.

More than a quarter of those who bought a home and then split up claim they lost out as proceeds of the sale were not split fairly.
Of those, 72% said that their partner received more than their fair share – or that they were not treated fairly. The remaining 28% admitted that they got more than they rightfully deserved. More than a third said that they had no personal savings whatsoever when they split up with their partner– rising to 46% for women. Despite this, just 15% said they took out a deed of trust or cohabitation agreement to protect their share, and only 10% had a floating deed or commensurate share deed. Meanwhile, a mere 7% had a property break-up plan clarified as part of a prenuptial agreement. This means that 68% are left vulnerable if they were to break up with their partner, especially if they put in a larger share of the deposit.

Sadly, the law does not protect you by default and you must ensure that you get professional advice before entering in to a legal agreement or obligation with another person, which is exactly what buying a property together is.

Whilst I appreciate that this may be a very cynical point of view, I have no doubt, that those who have lost most or all of their life savings after a relationship or joint purchase goes wrong, will no doubt confirm how serious this is.

It may feel inappropriate to raise this topic with someone who you are in a relationship with, but there is little that is more important, than to ensure that you enter in to any agreement without putting your future at risk.

If you do not, you could find that at some point in the future, you could be in a position where you could lose the home that you have invested in, then you could be left in the unfortunate position, where you will not be able to buy another home.

When you choose someone to give you advice, ensure that you choose a solicitor who specialises in this field, a solicitor who deals with motoring offences will not be best placed to advise you.

If you would like some pointers regarding this topic, feel free to contact me any time, for free and confidential advice, I am not a solicitor and therefore I cannot offer legal advice, but having been in property for decades, I have seen many different scenarios and I am able to offer some suggestions on matters that you should consider and point you in the right direction.

However you feel about this, the worst thing that you can do, is to bury your head in the sand and ignore this, if your partners is not happy about this, then that in itself should raise alarm bells.

0 0 votes
Article Rating
Subscribe
Notify of
guest
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments